Each player starts with 7 cards, drawn from a draw pile that consists of 2 sets (104) of cards. Cards played are placed face up on a discard pile. The goal of Crazy eights is to be the first to play all your cards.
Players take turns placing their cards on the discard pile using the following rules:
• A game must not be started with a special card.
• The card to be discarded must be the same in color or value as the top card on the discard pile. A joker or jack may always be played. The first card in the game may be any card provided it is not a special card.
• If a player decides to not play a card or is unable to play it and no penalty cards have been drawn, he must take a card from the draw pile. If another card can then be played, he may still do so during the same turn.
• A player must draw 2 penalty cards if his final played card is a special card.
• If a player has to draw penalty cards, he may play a special card that increases the number of penalty cards to be drawn, transferring them to the next player.
• When the last card on the discard pile is a joker and all penalty cards have been drawn, any card may be played.
The special cards and their consequence are:
• 2: The next player must draw 2 penalty cards on his next turn.
• 7: The current player receives an extra turn.
• 8: The current player receives an extra turn.
• Jack: The current player may determine the color with which the game continues.
• King: The current player receives an extra turn.
• Ace: The current player receives an extra turn.
• Joker: The next player must draw 5 penalty cards on his next turn.
The game ends when a player has played all his cards. This player wins the game.